Tuesday 16 December 2008

My Christmas reading

There seem to be quite a few trendy books about social media and web 2.0 doing the rounds, so I really have been quite spoilt for choice when its come to choosing my Christmas reading. Luckily, lots of these seem to be practical manuals written for business people who have never used the internet, which has helped me narrow down the pile somewhat. The technicalities and realities of social media are no mystery to me; I'd just like to understand the bigger picture. Right now, if you ask me what social media is good for, I'd say "being sent pictures of dogs dressed as other animals", and that isn't going to get me anywhere fast.

So I've opted for Wikinomics, by Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams, which was a widely acclaimed "must read" from last year. From the blurb, I gather that its about the internet, specifically user generated content, allowing disparate amateurs to create value outside the traditional framework of profit-driven business. You might want to check out this video of Mr Tapscott discussing his book (it's long but good).



What has Wikinomics got to do with public relations? Well the prevalence of user-generated content means that everyone on the internet is potentially a news outlet, turning the traditional media and communications model on its head. If the book's thesis is correct, successful PR increasingly will require an appreciation of the publishing powers unlocked by the so called Read Write Web and an understanding of the impact this has on conventional PR practise.

No comments: